News & Notes - Social Work
College of Nursing & Professional Disciplines
Look for more great social work information in the coming Social Work alumni e-newsletter!
- Dr. Melanie Sage is in the national spotlight of child welfare researchers with some groundbreaking work on child welfare in North Dakota.Dr. Dheeshana Jayasundara and Dr. Randy Nedegaard just received a federal award to work in partnership with two regional communities to combat domestic violence and sexual assault.
- The Social Work Department was one of 11 grantees selected for a training grant to prepare and place child welfare workers in North Dakota’s “oil patch.”
- Dr. Yi-Ping Hsieh received a UND SSAC award for her project entitled, “Cultural Comparisons in Parenting of Adolescents, Conflict Resolution Styles, and the Relationships to Aggressive Behaviors in Taiwan and the United States.” Dr. Hsieh has also published her article, “Associations between Child Maltreatment PTSD, and Internet Addiction among Taiwanese Students” in Computers in Human Behavior.
- Dr. Andrew Quinn was nominated for the Center for Community Engagement’s 2015 Stone Soup Awards for his work in the Grand Forks community.
- Recent Social Work faculty publications include:
Chu. Y. H. & Myers, B. (2016). A Social Work Perspective on the Treatment of Gifted and Talented Students in American Public Schools. School Social Work Journal (In Press).
Coleman, D. & Quest, A.D. (2015), Science from evaluation: Testing hypotheses about differential effects on three youth-focused suicide prevention trainings. Social Work in Public Health, 30(2), 117-28, doi: 10.1080/19371918.2014.938397
Fogel, S.J., Barkdull, C., & Weber, B. (2015), Joining the Conversation. Social Work Education, 34(5), 467-470, doi: 10.1080/02615479.2015.108562
Quinn, A. & Chu, Y. H. Teaching Note – Student Produced Public Service Announcement: An Active Learning Assignment in Social Work Class . Journal of Social Work Education (In Press).
Sage, M., & Sele, P. (2015), Reflective Journaling as a Flipped Classroom Technique to Increase Reading and Participation With Social Work Students. Journal of Social Work Education, 51(04), 668–681, doi: 10.1080/10437797.2015.1076274
Tsai, M.C., Hsieh, Y. P., Strong, C., & Lin, C.Y.* (2015), Effects of pubertal timing on alcohol and tobacco use in the early adulthood: A longitudinal cohort study in Taiwan. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 36, 376-383.
Alyssa Walker. "News & Notes - Social Work" (2015). UND News Archive. 1178.