UND summer undergraduate students present biomedical research
School of Medicine & Health Sciences
GRAND FORKS, N.D.—Fifty-seven undergraduates present the results of their labors this summer at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences 2014 Summer Undergraduate Research Experience poster session from 9 a.m. to noon on Thursday, August 7, in the Vennes Atrium of the School. The public is invited. For the past 10 weeks, students from UND as well as rural and tribal colleges in Minnesota, North Dakota, and across the nation have conducted research and participated in a number of related educational opportunities. Students participated, shoulder-to-shoulder, with their mentor scientists from the UND Department of Biology, the UND SMHS Departments of Pathology and Basic Sciences, and the UND SMHS Center for Rural Health.
Funding for the students came from a variety of organizations, including the National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and the Office of the Dean at the UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences.
The students conducted biomedical research with scientists whose work has implications in the areas of neurological disease, cancer, diabetes, drug addiction, heart disease, and aging.
One of the goals of the summer research program is to provide students with the opportunity to work side-by-side with established research scientists. An additional goal is to recruit students from rural and tribal colleges for future participation in UND undergraduate and graduate programs. The summer research program is designed ultimately to bolster the workforce pipeline of biomedical research scientists and health care professionals.
Students receive specific laboratory training. In weekly professional development sessions, the undergraduates learn how to responsibly conduct research, what is required in graduate and medical school application processes, and scientific writing. At the end of the summer, the students present their work in a research poster session.
In addition to the University of North Dakota, this year's participants are from Cankdeska Cikana Community College, Fort Totten, N.D.; Turtle Mountain Community College, Belcourt, N.D.; Bay Path College, Longmeadow, Maine; Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich.; McCook Community College, McCook, Neb.; Mississippi Valley State University, Itta Bena, Miss.; Peru State College, Peru, Neb.; St. Mary's University, San Antonio, Texas; and the University of Arizona, Tucson.
The students and their hometowns are the following:
- Colton Delonais , Aberdeen, S.D.
- Austin Ganje , Ada, Minn.
- Mitch Sand , Andover, Minn.
- Mathew Gerving , Beach, N.D.
- Aleesha Azure , Belcourt, N.D.
- Leah Bercier , Belcourt, N.D.
- Roderick Bruce , Belcourt, N.D.
- Jenna Desjarlais , Belcourt, N.D.
- Sloan Henry , Belcourt, N.D.
- James Lindgren , Belcourt, N.D.
- Robert Longie , Belcourt, N.D.
- Laine Lyons , Belcourt, N.D.
- Jaylen Schlenvogt , Belcourt, N.D.
- Ronette Vandal , Belcourt, N.D.
- Nathan Curry , Bismarck, N.D.
- Bethany Erickson , Bismarck, N.D.
- Arthur Thorsen , Bismarck, N.D.
- Paige Lothert , Brainerd, Minn.
- Elizabeth Hafner , Cambridge, Minn.
- Farah Khan , Clinton Township, Mich.
- Justine Melvin , Coventry, R.I.
- Scott Bull , Devils Lake, N.D.
- Derrick Fournier , Devils Lake, N.D.
- Shayna Monson , Dickinson, N.D.
- Nathaniel Schroeder , Dubuque, Iowa
- Kelsey Peltier , Dunseith, N.D.
- Amanda Young , Dunseith, N.D.
- Sam Lilak , Eden Prairie, Minn.
- Casey Goodyear , Fargo, N.D.
- Dallas Hepper , Fargo, N.D.
- Brett Johnson , Fargo, N.D.
- Alexis Rodriguez , Grafton, N.D.
- Boma Afonya , Grand Forks, N.D.
- Kathryn O'Connor , Grand Forks, N.D.
- Sarah Hagley , Grand Rapids, Minn.
- Whitni Redman , Holyoke, Colo.
- Shelby Cyr , Hoople, N.D.
- Marlon Flowers , Itta Bena, Miss.
- Justin Slusser , Jamestown, N.D.
- Philip Rostad , Kindred, N.D.
- Elizabeth Peterson , Mandan, N.D.
- Liana Haven , Maple Grove, Minn.
- Kayla Michelson , Moorhead, Minn.
- Daisy Riley , Rosebud, S.D.
- Arden Anderson , Owatonna, Minn.
- Tyler Stein , Rolla, N.D.
- Kailey Zaffran , Roseville, Minn.
- Raul Rodriguez , San Antonio, Texas
- Dorothy Schneider , San Jose, Calif.
- Ana Espinoza , San Luis, Ariz.
- Ashley Parisien , St. John, N.D.
- Shelby Poitra , St. John, N.D.
- Dane Allapowa , St. Michael, N.D.
- Erin Krueger , Sartell, Minn.
- Desire'e Enzminger , Tappen, N.D.
- Andrew Milbridge , Virginia, Minn.
- Tyler Titcomb , Warroad, Minn.
University of North Dakota. "UND summer undergraduate students present biomedical research" (2014). UND News Archive. 806.