Update from the SBIRT Grant Team
College of Nursing & Professional Disciplines
UND was awarded the SBIRT (Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment) grant from the United States Department of Health and Human Services through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration in 2014. Students in UND’s Primary Care Nurse Practitioner and the Masters of Social Work programs will be trained to use SBIRT techniques as well as learning the skills necessary to engage in best practices when collaborating with interprofessional colleagues. The SBIRT team is composed of interprofessional faculty from social work, nursing, and psychology. The team includes: Chris Harsell (nursing), Maridee Shogren (nursing), Thomasine Heitkamp (social work), Jacki Roberts (nursing), Angie Muhs (social work), and Joseph Miller (psychology). The project team targets the training to those who work with vulnerable, oppressed, disadvantaged, and at-risk populations.
The ND SBIRT Team continues with its work to disseminate interprofessional SBIRT education in the graduate programs and around the state.
- 138 students from 4 disciplines and 59 community members from over 5 different disciplines have taken part in the training so far.
- Joe Miller (psychology) and Thomasine Heitkamp (associate provost) presented about the team’s work and project outcomes at the ND Behavioral Health Conference in Bismarck, ND in September.
- ND SBIRT cohosted with Indians into Psychology Doctoral Education (INPSYDE) a presentation about. Trauma Informed Care by UND alumna and project consultant Dr. Tami DeCoteau, PhD, LP
- Maridee Shogren (nursing) was accepted to present Substance Abuse Screening and Brief Interventions: An Introduction to Interprofessional Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) in Women's Health and Prenatal Care at the ACNM National conference in May in New Mexico
- Jackie Roberts (nursing) and Angie Muhs (social work) will be presenting Substance Abuse Prevention in North Dakota: A Successful Interdisciplinary Collaboration Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health in May
- Look for our new website in early 2016!
Walker, Alyssa, "Update from the SBIRT Grant Team" (2016). UND News Archive. 1408.