2016 Sophomore Award Winners
School of Medicine & Health Sciences
GRAND FORKS, N.D.—The 2016 Sophomore Awards lunch and presentation of awards took place on Wednesday, May 11, in the UND Memorial Union Ballroom.
North Dakota Medical Association Awards Awarded to second-year students nominated by their peers, the Class of 2018, and recognized for outstanding performance in the following three curricular areas:
- Group Leadership and Professionalism —Michael Gilchrist, Bismarck, N.Dak. Engages in ethical conduct, facilitates group interaction and productivity, motivates others to learn, exhibits personal integrity, and interacts with others appropriately with respect and courtesy.
- Peer Teaching —Katherine (Kacy) Benedict, Sabin, Minn. Outstanding contributions to the group's database and facilitating group learning, skillful and accurate presentations, and willingness to assist fellow classmates to learn concepts they do not understand.
- Integration of Basic Science and Clinical Application —Brandon Fisher, Fargo, N.Dak. Ability to analyze problems, generate hypotheses, set priorities, test hypotheses and formulate alternative hypotheses, draw appropriate conclusions, and apply the knowledge to patient cases.
Academic Awards The following awards are presented to second-year medical students in recognition of their overall academic achievements:
- The DeBoer Memorial Award —Brandon Fisher, Fargo, N.Dak. Given in memory of Mrs. Benjamin DeBoer and presented by the Department of Biomedical Sciences (formerly by the Department of Pharmacology, Physiology, and Therapeutics).
- Dr. Philip H. Woutat Memorial Scholarship Award —Elizabeth Anderson, West Fargo, N.Dak. Presented by the Department of Biomedical Sciences (formerly by the Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology) on behalf of Mrs. Philip H. Woutat in memory of her husband for his longtime service as a radiology instructor.
- Dr. William Eugene Cornatzer Award —Michael Gilchrist, Bismarck, N.Dak., and Jill Wieser , Wahpeton, N.Dak. Presented by the Department of Biomedical Sciences (formerly by the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology) in recognition of Dr. William Eugene Cornatzer, the founder of the department, the first chair, and a pioneering and innovative leader in medical education and biomedical research.
- Dr. James Kelleher Award —Siri Urquhart, Forest Lake, Minn. Presented by the Department of Biomedical Sciences (formerly by the Department of Microbiology and Immunology) in honor of Dr. Kelleher's outstanding service to the School of Medicine and Health Sciences and his dedication and contributions to the teaching of medical students.
- Kevin Monk Award —Whitney Bettenhausen, Mandan, N.Dak.;Michael Gilchrist, Bismarck, N.Dak.; and Seth Zygarlicke, Grand Forks, N.Dak. Given to a second-year medical student for outstanding service to the School of Medicine and Health Sciences.
Outstanding Teacher Awards
- Portrait Award —Walter Kemp, MD, PhD, Associate Professor, Pathology. For outstanding support of students during their first two years of medical education.
- Golden Apple Award For excellence in teaching, presented to the instructor whose instruction has had the greatest impact on the class. Presented by Sophomore Students to Walter Kemp, MD, PhD, Associate Professor, Pathology Golden Apple Award For excellence in teaching, presented to the instructor whose instruction has had the greatest impact on the class. Presented by Freshman Students to Chernet B. Tessema, MD, Assistant Professor, Biomedical Sciences
University of North Dakota, "2016 Sophomore Award Winners" (2016). UND News Archive. 1259.