UND summer undergraduate students present research
School of Medicine & Health Sciences
GRAND FORKS, N.D.—Fifty-four undergraduates present the results of their labors this summer at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Experience poster session on Thursday, August 6, in the Vennes Atrium of the school.
For the past 10 weeks, students from UND, as well as from rural and tribal colleges in Minnesota, North Dakota, and across the nation have conducted research and participated in a number of related educational opportunities. Students participated, shoulder-to-shoulder, with their mentor scientists from the UND Department of Biology, the UND SMHS Departments of Pathology and Basic Sciences, Cankdeska Cikana Community College, Turtle Mountain Community College, and the UND SMHS Center for Rural Health.
Funding for the students came from a variety of organizations, including the National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and the Office of the Dean at the UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences.
The students conducted biomedical research with scientists whose work has implications in the areas of neurological disease, cancer, diabetes, drug addiction, heart disease and aging. Other research projects involved studying environmental influences on organisms.
One of the goals of the summer research program is to provide students with the opportunity to work side-by-side with an established research scientist. An additional goal is to recruit students from rural and tribal colleges for future participation in UND undergraduate and graduate programs. For the first time this year, the program included incoming UND freshman and students from North Dakota community colleges. The summer research program is designed ultimately to bolster the workforce pipeline of biomedical research scientists and health care professionals.
Students receive specific laboratory training. In weekly professional development sessions, the undergraduates learn about responsible conduct of research, what is required in graduate and medical school application processes, and scientific writing, as well as learn about a variety of research areas.
In addition to the University of North Dakota, this year’s participants are from Bismarck State College, Bismarck, N.D.; Cankdeska Cikana Community College, Fort Totten, N.D.; Lake Region State College, Devils Lake, N.D.; Turtle Mountain Community College, Belcourt, N.D.; United Tribes Technical College, Bismarck, N.D.; Bay Path College, Longmeadow, Mass.; Carleton College, Northfield, Minn.; College of St. Benedict/St. John’s University, St. Joseph, Minn.; Los Angeles Harbor College, Wilmington, Calif.; New Mexico Highlands University, Las Vegas, N.M.; Ottawa University, Ottawa, Kan.; Peru State College, Peru, Neb.; and the University of Washington, Seattle.
The students and their hometowns are the following (alphabetical by hometown):
- Austin Ganje , Ada, Minn.
- Nathan Nelson , Alexandria, Minn.
- Isaac Nies , Ashley, N.D.
- Zackary Dent , Barnesville, Minn.
- Leah Bercier , Belcourt, N.D.
- Charles LaRocque , Belcourt, N.D.
- Jared Nadeau , Belcourt, N.D.
- Jessi Nadeau , Belcourt, N.D.
- Kaylee Scott , Belcourt, N.D.
- Derek Boeshans , Beulah, N.D.
- Kristian Aadahl , Bismarck, N.D.
- Bonita Claymore , Bismarck, N.D.
- Andrew Ryberg , Bismarck, N.D.
- Riley Schafer-McLean , Bismarck, N.D.
- Shelby Moderow , Casselton, N.D.
- Justine Melvin , Coventry, R.I.
- Sydney Boike , Crookston, Minn.
- Nicholas Smith , Danbury, Wis.
- Seth Sherlock , Dazey, N.D.
- Sydney Gjermundson , Devils Lake, N.D.
- Domeequo Beston , Dunseith, N.D.
- Devin Counts , Dunseith, N.D.
- Marrina St. Pierre , Dunseith, N.D.
- Danyelle Osowski , East Grand Forks, Minn.
- Kevin Molinar , El Paso, Texas
- Sarah Clark , Eau Claire, Wis.
- Sarah Tarvestad , Fargo, N.D.
- Danielle Warren , Farwell, Minn.
- Danae Black , Fort Totten, N.D.
- Alexis Antonenko , Grand Forks, N.D.
- Rebecca Devine , Grand Forks, N.D.
- Kaitlin Grosgebauer , Grand Forks, N.D.
- Paige Longie , Grand Forks, N.D.
- Lalangi Marasinghe , Grand Forks, N.D.
- Rosemary McDonald , Grand Forks, N.D.
- Tanner Piper , Grand Forks, N.D.
- Ashley Rone , Grand Forks, N.D.
- Temesgen Sinamo , Grand Forks, N.D.
- Derek Brink , Grand Rapids, Minn.
- Brooke Freeberg , Hampton, Minn.
- Jordan Grosz , Hazen, N.D.
- Whitney Redman , Holyoke, Colo.
- Brendan Gregoire , Larimore, N.D.
- Michelle Tuineau , Las Vegas, N.M.
- Laramie Tescher , Minot, N.D.
- RaMae Norton , Minto, N.D.
- Tucker Zimmer , Munich, N.D.
- Cassandra Savage , Oak View, Calif.
- Hope Waisner , Prairie Village, Kan.
- Zachary Hoggarth , Saint Cloud, Minn.
- Nashanda Bercier , Saint Michael, N.D
- Elizabeth Oestreich , Seattle, Wash.
- Blake Nunez , Torrance, Calif.
- Daniel Sayler , Wishek, N.D.
University of North Dakota. "UND summer undergraduate students present research" (2015). UND News Archive. 1066.