Title of Work
Date of Work
Art & Design Study Collection
UND Art Collections Gallery at the Empire Arts Center
The watercolor is from a Lectionary of the “Old Believers,” who separated from the official Russian Orthodox Church in the mid 17th century to protest recent church reforms involving liturgical practices. Following the schism, the Old Believers were not officially tolerated in Russia until 1905.
The manuscript was written in Church Slavonic, the primary liturgical language of the Orthodox Church. Accompanying the text are full-page scenes from the Life of Christ, among them the work on display that is painted in a colorful provincial style.