Event Title

Reading: Maxine Hong Kingston

Presenter Information

Maxine Hong Kingston

Start Date

31-3-2011 8:00 PM

End Date

31-3-2011 9:00 PM

Description

Maxine Hong Kingston discusses and reads excerpts from her new book, I Love a Broad Margin to My Life, written entirely in verse form. The book is a memoir of Kingston’s life, featuring reflections upon turning 65. Excerpts she reads from I Love a Broad Margin to My Life include the book’s beginning, a portion from seven days before her 65th birthday, from a peace march, about the end of her mother’s life, and the last lines from the book. Kingston also mentions that her new book gave her the opportunity to finish some stories from books she’d written previously, including “No Name Woman” from The Woman Warrior. She reads the excerpts from I Love a Broad Margin to My Life that finishes the story. Kingston also discusses the writing processes for her books Tripmaster Monkey, The Woman Warrior, and I Love a Broad Margin to My Life, which she explains the plot structure for, as well. In a question and answer session after the reading, Kingston talks about the influence of other writers, including Walt Whitman and Henry David Thoreau, on her work. Additionally, she discusses the inspiration behind her book Hawai’i One Summer.

Introduced by J. Colleen Berry.

Comments

Permissions cleared, digitization complete.

Streaming Media

Media is loading

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS

Mar 31st, 8:00 PM Mar 31st, 9:00 PM

Reading: Maxine Hong Kingston

Introduced by J. Colleen Berry.