Event Title

Reading: Thomas Disch

Presenter Information

Thomas Disch

Location

Chester Fritz Auditorium

Start Date

27-3-2003 8:00 PM

End Date

27-3-2003 10:00 PM

Description

Audio/Visual recording of Thomas M. Disch reading at the 34th Annual UND Writers Conference: Art & Science on March 27, 2003. In this recording, Disch reads "Dreams: A Darwinian View" "Questions Your Children Are Certain to Ask" published in Yes, Let's: New and Selected Poems(1989). "Why the Sky is Blue" "What I Learned at MIT" "The Mini Verse" published only in North Dakota Quarterly (2003). “A Letter to Robert Bly,” “Villanelle for Charles Olson,” “The Future of the Book,” published in The Castle of Perseverance: Job Opportunities in Contemporary Poetry (Poets on Poetry) (2002). “On the Use of Masculine Preferred,” published in A Children's Garden of Grammar (1997). The main reading is the essay “The Future of the Book.” Disch’s essay is his speculation of what is going to happen to the process of book publication with the many developments in computer technology. He says, “I believe I am speaking and describing the world as it is.” “Soon there will be fewer and fewer books but more and more authors.”

Comments

Permissions cleared, digitization complete.

Streaming Media

Media is loading

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS

Mar 27th, 8:00 PM Mar 27th, 10:00 PM

Reading: Thomas Disch

Chester Fritz Auditorium