Event Title

Reading: Robert Bly

Presenter Information

Robert Bly

Location

UND Memorial Ballroom

Start Date

20-3-1979 8:00 PM

End Date

20-3-1979 9:00 PM

Description

In this audiovisual recording from March 20, 1979 as part of the 10th annual UND Writing Conference: “Epitomes, Bombast & Climaxes,” Robert Bly lectures on poetry, narcissism, and politics, at times playing a lap dulcimer. He recites “The Clay Jug” by Kabir twice, tells a story about Mirabai, recites “Why Mira Can't go back to her old house,” reads “Words Rising,” “Feeling at Home in the Body,” and “Written in the Rockes Near Mule Hollow, Utah,” recites “Trees Undo Themselves Inside a Circle of Fog,” reads “A Hollow Tree” twice, “Lobsters Waiting to be Eaten in the Restaurant Window,” “I am Driving Toward the Lac qui Parle River” twice, recites “Looking at a Dead Seal,” reads “Digging Worms,” recites “It Begins With Orion” twice, “Love Poem” “Taking the Hands Of Someone You Love,” “I Want What is Inside You” twice, “Coming in For Supper,” “For My Son, Noah, Ten Years Old,” and “Snowbanks North of the House,” and reads “Passing an Orchard by Train.” Bly then recites “Counting Small Boned Bodies” and “The Busy Man's Speech” while wearing masks and recites Rilke's “I Live My Life in Growing Orbits” and Yeats's “Mad as the Mist and Snow.”

Introduced by Robert Lewis.

Comments

Permissions pending, digitization planned.

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS

Mar 20th, 8:00 PM Mar 20th, 9:00 PM

Reading: Robert Bly

UND Memorial Ballroom

Introduced by Robert Lewis.