Download Full Text (21.0 MB)
Camp Depression opened October 21, 1933, at the University of North Dakota. It was designed to create low-cost housing for needy, but determined male students who wanted to obtain an education during the Great Depression. The camp consisted of six cabooses that were joined together and remodeled. Four cars were used for sleeping, a fifth was a combination kitchen/washroom, and a sixth was used as a study hall. Camp Depression residents paid their room and board by working four hours per week on campus. The residents shared cooking expenses, rotated mess duties in the kitchen and elsewhere, and enforced "quiet hours" for studying. Approximately 200 men lived in Camp Depression over its ten year existence. It closed after the 1942-1943 school year.
Released in May 1994, this publication examines the history of the Camp, as well as the young men who lived there.
North Dakota--Grand Forks
Grand Forks, ND
Depressions; Student housing
Flaten, Jacqueline D.
University of North Dakota Alumni Association
Camp Depression (University of North Dakota); University of North Dakota
American Studies | Higher Education | History
University of North Dakota, "Camp Depression: an Era of Hope and Opportunity at the University of North Dakota" (1994). UND Publications. 25.