Margaret Kelly Cable, born in Minnesota in 1884, moved to Minneapolis in the early 1900s to study ceramics at the Guild of Handicrafts. In 1909, Earle Babcock, instructor of Chemistry, English, and Geology at the University of North Dakota, started the Ceramics Department to study the valuable clay resources North Dakota had to offer and he asked Cable to head it.
Cable began teaching at UND in 1910 while continuing her education in the summers, working and studying under famous ceramists around the country. At UND, Cable was known for interesting lectures and demonstrations. In 1915, Cable was accepted into the American Ceramic Society (ACS). She went on to write several papers on her work and research at UND that were published in the ACS’s journal.
Cable gained national recognition when she was chosen to be “North Dakota’s Outstanding Woman” at the 1927 Women’s World Fair in Chicago, IL. That same year, Cable built her first home, on the campus at the University of North Dakota. The home was demolished in 2006. 1927 proved to be a successful year for Cable when she was highlighted by the New York Times “Current Activities in the World of Art” section on August 21st. In the article, Cable explained the research UND Ceramics was doing with North Dakota clay. In 1933, Cable attended the Century of Progress Exposition where her work was described as an “outstanding exhibition of United States pottery”.
Margaret Kelly Cable retired from UND in 1949 after 39 years of teaching. Her work is remembered for the high level of skill it exhibits as well as its representation of native plants and animals of North Dakota, Native American cultural symbols, and art deco and art nouveau inspired styles. After retiring from her successful career at the University of North Dakota, she moved to California with her sister, Flora Cable Huckfield, another influential UND ceramist, to be closer to family. In 1951, she earned the Binns Medal of Excellence in Art from Alfred University and the American Ceramics Society. Cable passed away October 31, 1960. Over 100 years after she was hired to run it, the UND Ceramics Department is still in operation today.
p. 3-13 University of North Dakota Pottery: The Cable Years by Margaret Libby Barr, Donald Miller, and Robert Barr
Years Attended School
3 1/2" diameter
Date of Work
C CBL 112-0714 Gift
Replica of a Astor Medal 1926 Dark blue with gray center Front: The Columbia River Historical Expedition, 1920; Inside Circle President of the American Fur Company, with side view of man Back top: University of North Dakota; Bottom: North Dakota Clay; Inside Circle: Fort Union, Peace And, U.M.O with image of hands shaking and two sets of a pipes crossed.
replicas; medals; dark blue; gray (color); presidents; fur; beads (pierced objects)
This is a replica made by Cable of the original Astor Medal that was made of silver and struck by the U.S. Mint in the mid 1800's. In 1926, President Budd of the Great Northern Railroad Company, set out to retrace the Columbia River Expedition. His train stopped in Grand Forks. Cable, who was friends with Budd, made the clay replicas for that occasion. A more complete description can be found on pg 16 of the book University of North Dakota Pottery: The Cable Years.
Stored: Crate 4
UND Art Collections Repository
Cable, Margaret Kelly, "C CBL 112-0714, 1926 Astor/Columbia River Historical Expedition Medallion" (1926). UND Pottery Collection. 1260.
Images are provided for educational purposes only and may not be reproduced for commercial use. Images may be protected by artist copyright. A credit line is required to be used for any public non-commercial educational purpose. The credit line must include, “Image courtesy of the University of North Dakota.”