Download Full Text (777 KB)
• Petasites hybridus (butterbur) as an effective prophylaxis for migraine disorders. • Computerized literature searches were carried out in DynaMed, COCHRANE, EBSCO, CINAHL and MEDLINE.
• The examination of literature will comprise of trials that evaluate Petasites hybridus extract Petadolex® in various dosages and placebo.
• Petasites hybridus extract Petadolex® demonstrates a decreased frequency of migraine attacks and a greater improvement (>50%) after 3-4 month than placebo.
• Further studies are indicated to investigate extract recommendation for dosing and duration of treatment in pediatric population.
• Additional studies are required to confirm effectiveness and safety in long-time use before treatment with Petasites hybridus extract can be suggested as an alternative option for the prophylaxis of migraine.
• Trials reviewed for this paper suggests that the patented Petasites hybridus extract Petadolex® is a safe and excellently tolerated treatment for migraine prevention.
Physician Assistant Studies
Master of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS)
Migraine Disorders -- prevention & control; Plant Extracts -- adverse effects; Plant Extracts -- therapeutic use
Alternative and Complementary Medicine
DeLuca, Lena, "Migraine Prophylaxis with Petasites Hybridus" (2015). Physician Assistant Scholarly Project Posters. 96.