Download Full Text (964 KB)
• Chronic pain is one of the most difficult conditions to treat.
---Close monitoring of controlled medications
---Unnecessary, expensive surgeries
• Alternatives to medication is increasingly necessary.
• Integrative medicine incorporates traditional western medicine with unconventional therapies, such as acupuncture.
---Evaluate the treatments’ efficacy for chronic neck and back pain by evaluating meta-analysis studies and randomized controlled trials.
• Physiology is a large component of understanding how and if the acupuncture works.
---Non-invasive functional magnetic resonance imaging
---Neurotransmitters and their response to acupuncture
• Acupuncture therapy for improvement of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Physician Assistant Studies
Master of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS)
Acupuncture Therapy; Chronic Disease; Musculoskeletal Pain -- therapy; Comparative Study
Alternative and Complementary Medicine | Musculoskeletal Diseases
Olson, Kayla, "Acupuncture: A Comparison Study of Sham Acupuncture, Traditional Chinese Acupuncture and Current Practice Guidelines for the Treatment of Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain in Adults" (2015). Physician Assistant Scholarly Project Posters. 103.