Download Full Text (1.7 MB)
• Benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) is common in older males and can cause lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS).
• Saw Palmetto, an herbal supplement, is normally implemented as an alternative medication to treat lower urinary tract symptoms associated with BPH.
• The review of literature evaluated studies comparing the effects and outcomes of Saw Palmetto versus commonly prescribed medications such as antiadrenergic agents.
• There are conflicting studies indicating Saw Palmetto’s efficacy on lower urinary tract symptoms and reduction of BPH.
• Saw Palmetto has no side effects, and is available at a low cost when compared to prescribed medications for BPH.
Physician Assistant Studies
Master of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS)
Complementary Therapies; Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms -- drug therapy; Plant Extracts -- therapeutic use; Prostatic Hyperplasia -- drug therapy; Comparative Study
Alternative and Complementary Medicine | Urology
Trimble, Michael, "Effects of Saw Palmetto on Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms From Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia" (2015). Physician Assistant Scholarly Project Posters. 102.