Download Full Text (485 KB)
• Depression is a common and debilitating disease complicated by comorbidities, medication side effects, limited alternative treatment options, and poor patient adherence.
• Currently, clinical practice guidelines are available outlining the indications and treatment options for depression.
• Discussion will involve pathophysiology of the disease process and possible treatments, such as pharmacotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy and somatic therapy, including electroconvulsive therapy (ECT).
• ECT is widely accepted as an effective treatment for severe refractory depression, but has a negative social stigma despite its effectiveness.
• This paper has shown ECT remains the most effective treatment of severe refractory depression in adult patients, despite the negative reputation it holds.
• Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) will be also be discussed as a possible alternative to established methods of treatment.
Physician Assistant Studies
Master of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS)
Depressive Disorder, Major -- physiopathology; Depressive Disorder, Major -- therapy; Comparative Study
Psychiatric and Mental Health
Michels, Brittany, "Treatment of Resistant Depression" (2015). Physician Assistant Scholarly Project Posters. 100.