Download Full Text (1.2 MB)
This photographic print, dated November 1, 1946, depicts a lone white church surrounded by fence. To the left of the church is a sign that reads in part “Fort Clara;” the rest of the sign is illegible. The church is situated on flat lands with a road in front of it. There are no trees in the photo. The text under the photo reads, “Rural Church; Lieu Lands.”
Original print housed at the National Archives Catalogue in Kansas City, Missouri in the “Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs” group. The Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara Nation are noted as “subjects represented” in the collection. National Archives identifier number: 45640904; Local Identifier: 75-FB-216.
Digital file courtesy of the National Archives and Records Administration: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/45640904#.Yhve8uNY4qc.link
Mandan Hidatsa and Arikara Nation, the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, Mandan, Nueta, Hidatsa, Arikara, Sahnish, church, rural, lieu lands, Fort Clara, photograph, photo, picture
Mandan Hidatsa and Arikara Nation, the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, Mandan, Nueta, Hidatsa, Arikara, Sahnish, US Bureau of Indian Affairs, US Department of the Interior
American Politics | Indigenous, Indian, and Aboriginal Law | Indigenous Studies | Law and Politics | Native American Studies | United States History
United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs. Lieu Lands: Rural Church, Area C #1, 1946, photograph, US Government Documents Related to Indigenous Nations, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, https://commons.und.edu/indigenous-gov-docs/87/
Cultural Institutions Notice
Collections and items in our institution have incomplete, inaccurate, and/or missing attribution. We are using this notice to clearly identify this material so that it can be updated, or corrected by communities of origin. Our institution is committed to collaboration and partnerships to address this problem of incorrect or missing attribution.
Open to Collaborate
Our institution is committed to the development of new modes of collaboration, engagement, and partnership for the care and stewardship of past and future heritage collections.