Download Full Text (818 KB)
This photographic print, likely taken in 1934, depicts the dedication of the Four Bears Bridge Monument. The photo shows a large crowd surrounding an odalisque with an American flag flying prominently to the left of the monument. The monument was dedicated to the original Four Bears Bridge in Elbowoods in 1934.
Original print housed at the National Archives Catalogue in Kansas City, Missouri in the “Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs” group. The Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara Nation are noted as “subjects represented” in the collection. National Archives identifier number: 45614545; local identifier: 75-FB-598.
Digital file courtesy of the National Archives and Records Administration: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/45641531#.YgGW1fxCzOg.link
Mandan Hidatsa and Arikara Nation, the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, Mandan, Nueta, Hidatsa, Arikara, Sahnish, Four Bears Bridge Monument, Garrison Dam, Garrison Reservoir, flooding, dedication, highway, photograph, photo, picture
Mandan Hidatsa and Arikara Nation, the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, Mandan, Nueta, Hidatsa, Arikara, Sahnish, Bureau of Indian Affairs, US Department of the Interior
American Politics | Indigenous, Indian, and Aboriginal Law | Indigenous Studies | Law and Politics | Native American Studies | United States History
United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs. Dedicating Monument to "Four Bears" Bridge, 1934, photograph, US Government Documents Related to Indigenous Nations, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, https://commons.und.edu/indigenous-gov-docs/32/.
Cultural Institutions Notice
Collections and items in our institution have incomplete, inaccurate, and/or missing attribution. We are using this notice to clearly identify this material so that it can be updated, or corrected by communities of origin. Our institution is committed to collaboration and partnerships to address this problem of incorrect or missing attribution.
Open to Collaborate
Our institution is committed to the development of new modes of collaboration, engagement, and partnership for the care and stewardship of past and future heritage collections.