Macnie Hall with view of the south side entrance and the front east side entrance. Vines partially cover the front of the building and small shrubs grow along the south side. Macnie Hall was constructed in 1893 as a men's dormitory several yards north of Davis Hall. Several small trees surround the building and a dirt path leads to its front. It was conceived and partially constructed as a university astronomical observatory but it was completed as a men's dormitory. In 1901, it became a woman's dormitory until 1930 when again housed male students. In 1908 it was renamed Macnie Hall in honor of John Macnie, professor of French and Spanish Languages and Literature and Secretary of the Faculty, who retired in 1906 after twenty years of service. Originally known as the Prep Building or Dormitory, it was called the Cottage in 1901 when it became the second campus women's dormitory.
Photo contributor: North Dakota Drug Company
Macnie Hall; The Cottage; Dormitory; Students-Female; Students-Male; Prep Building; John Macnie; Dormitories; Male college students; Women college students; Trees; Vines; College buildings; Stairs
North Dakota--Grand Forks
Macnie Hall (Grand Forks, N.D.)
Macnie, John, 1836-1909
Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota