image preview

Date of Work

1912 - 1930

Identification #

UAP 25466


Macnie Hall with view of front and side entrances. Vines cover the front of the building and small shrubs grow along its south side. Macnie Hall was constructed in 1893 as a men's dormitory several yards north of Davis Hall. Several small trees surround the building and a dirt path leads to its front. It was conceived and partially constructed as a university astronomical observatory but it was completed as a men's dormitory. In 1901, it became a woman's dormitory until 1930 when again housed male students. In 1908 it was renamed Macnie Hall in honor of John Macnie, professor of French and Spanish Languages and Literature and Secretary of the Faculty, who retired in 1906 after twenty years of service. Originally known as the Prep Building or Dormitory, it was called the Cottage in 1901 when it became the second campus women's dormitory.

Photo contributor: University Co-operative Store


Macnie Hall; The Cottage; Dormitory; Students-Female; Students-Male; Prep Building; John Macnie; Dormitories; College students; Preparatory schools; Clothing and dress; Bicycles; Trees; College buildings

Places Depicted

North Dakota--Grand Forks

Organizations Depicted

Macnie Hall (Grand Forks, N.D.); University of North Dakota

People Depicted

Macnie, John, 1836-1909


Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota