Preview

image preview

Date of Work

1929

Description

A photograph of the west side of Merrifield Hall under construction in 1929. The back of the photograph reads: ""Merrifield Hall-construction-west side, (1929). UND began construction on the Liberal Arts Building in 1928, and students occupied it beginning September 1929. At the 1930 Founder's Day, the building was formally named Merrifield Hall. The building contained lecture rooms, recitation rooms, and department offices for the College of Arts. Prior to this, Old Main had also been known as Merrifield Hall from 1912-1930. (Information from Chandler's History of All Buildings, pg 24, and University Publications)

Subject

Universities & colleges -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks

Places Depicted

North Dakota--Grand Forks

Organizations Depicted

Merrifield Hall (Grand Forks, N.D.); University of North Dakota. College of Arts and Sciences

People Depicted

Merrifield, Webster, 1852-1916

Rights

Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota

Keywords

Merrifield Hall, Webster Merrifield, Liberal Arts Building, College buildings

Share

 
COinS