Preview

image preview

Date of Work

1959

Description

A photograph of the front of Old Chemistry in 1959, along with a parked bicycle. The back of the photograph reads, "With parking problems ever increasing at an expanding institution, some students (and faculty members) find other means of travel." Above the doorway, a sign reads "Chemistry." In the summer and fall of 1918, UND built the Chemistry Building at a cost of $62,500. In 1919, the Chemistry Department moved from Science Hall into the Chemistry Building. A four-story building had laboratories for use in general, analytical, organic, physical and physiological chemistry as well as individual laboratories for instructors and graduate students. The biology department moved into the basement of the building and the two departments used the building until 1961. In 1961, UND constructed Abbott Hall for a new home for the Chemistry Department, and the Chemistry Department moved into Abbot in 1962. In 1962, UND renamed the building "The Biology Building." When the Biology Department moved to its new home, Starcher Hall, in 1981, the UND referred to the building as "Old Biology." In 1981-1982, the building remained unoccupied while the University invested $1 million to rebuild the interior of the building. In 1983, UND dedicated the building to John Gillette, renamed the building as Gillette Hall, and designated the building for the Departments of Sociology, Social Work, and Geography. John Gillette created UND's Department of Sociology when he was a professor at UND from 1907 to 1948. "He was often referred to as the dean of rural sociology because of the formative influence that his pioneer works in the field had in this and other countries" (University Publication) He published 100 monographs and 10 books which attracted wide attention throughout the world. Geography moved out of Gillette Hall in 1992. Currently, Gillette Hall is home for Recreation and Leisure Services Department, Sociology Department, and Social Work Department. (Information from: E. F. Chandler pg 15, Norman Kulevsky's Chemistry Departmental History pg 5, University Publications: Gillette Hall).

Subject

Universities & colleges -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks; Buildings -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks

Places Depicted

North Dakota--Grand Forks

Organizations Depicted

University of North Dakota. Dept. of Chemistry; University of North Dakota. Dept. of Biology; University of North Dakota. Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology.; University of North Dakota. Dept. of Geography.; Gillette Hall (Grand Forks, N.D.)

Rights

Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota

Keywords

Old Chemistry, Chemistry Department, Old Biology, Biology Department, Gillette Hall, John Gillette, Sociology Department, Social Work Department, Bicycles, Bicycle parking, Campus parking, College buildings

Share

 
COinS