Preview

image preview

Date of Work

1948

Description

Snow covers the ground and roof of Babcock Hall in 1948. Back of the photograph reads: "Babcock Hall, 1948." UND built the Mining Engineering Building in 1907 and was dedicated June 1908. In 1909, UND constructed two additions to the north and south of the building to accomodate ceramics and a mining expreiment station. In 1910, a serious fire destroyed the norther third of the roof and caused extensive water damage to the north half of the building. On September 3, 1925, the building was named after Dean Earle J. Babcock. (Information from E. F. Chandler's History of All Buildings, page 7)

Subject

Buildings -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks; Universities & colleges -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks

Places Depicted

North Dakota--Grand Forks; North Dakota

Organizations Depicted

Babcock Hall (Grand Forks, N.D.); University of North Dakota

Rights

Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota

Keywords

Babcock Hall, Earle Babcock, Mining, Engineering, Chemistry, Engineering schools, Mining engineering, Mining schools and education, College buildings, Trees, Snow, Chemistry

Share

 
COinS