Preview

image preview

Date of Work

1910

Description

UND built the Mining Engineering Building in 1907 and was dedicated June 1908. In 1909, UND constructed two additions to the north and south of the building to accomodate ceramics and a mining expreiment station. In 1910, a serious fire destroyed the norther third of the roof and caused extensive water damage to the north half of the building. On September 3, 1925, the building was named after Dean Earle J. Babcock. (Information from E. F. Chandler's History of All Buildings, page 7)

Subject

Buildings -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks; Universities & colleges -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks

Places Depicted

North Dakota--Grand Forks; North Dakota

Organizations Depicted

University of North Dakota; Babcock Hall (Grand Forks, N.D.)

People Depicted

Babcock, E. J. (Earle Jay), b. 1865

Rights

Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota

Keywords

Babcock Hall, Earl J. Babcock, Mining, Engineering, Chemistry, Chemistry, College buildings, Engineering schools, Mining schools and education, Mining engineering, Stairs, Sidewalks

Share

 
COinS