Date of Work
View of the side of Main with a grassy area and planted trees in front. The main entrance to the building is on the right side of the photo. There is a set of steps leading to a side door and some windows are open. Main was the first University campus building. It opened to classes September 8, 1884. On June 16, 1887 a violent tornado severely damaged the western end of the building, which was immediately rebuilt but without the enclosed center cupola and eastern high rounded gable. In 1912 the building was named after former President Webster Merrifield until the name was given to Merrifield Hall in 1930. In 1924, its top two stories were removed to stabilize the building. Main was demolished in 1963.
Main; Old Main; Trees; Windows; College buildings; Trees; Windows; Grasses; Stairs; Doorways
North Dakota--Grand Forks
Main (Grand Forks, N.D. : Building); University of North Dakota
Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota