North Dakota Drug Company
Exterior view of the Oxford House with the trees, shrubs, and flowers that surround the home. Built in 1902 for President and Mrs. Webster Merrifield, the Colonial Revival building designed by Joseph H. DeRemer cost approximately $25,000 and contained many modern conveniences. The home consists of two stories with an attic which contained a large ballroom and small bedrooms. Constructed of granite and brick, the main floor contained a large parlor, living room, refectory, President's study, kitchen, pantry and hallways. The second floor was divided into five bedrooms. The house also had three fireplaces, bathrooms on each floor, speaking tubes, a dumbwaiter, electric lights and bells and a telephone. Presidents Frank McVey, Thomas Kane, and John C. West also resided there. During George Starcher's presidency, the home became a men's dormitory, Oxford House. From 1964-1971, the Art Department occupied the home. In 1973, the house placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Today it is home to the University Alumni Association.
Oxford House; President's House; College presidents - Dwellings; Trees; Stairs; Shrubs; Flowers; Columns; Buildings
North Dakota--Grand Forks; North Dakota
University of North Dakota
Merrifield, Webster, 1852-1916
Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota