Date of Work
View of Main following the 1887 tornado that destroyed portions of the roof and west side of the building. Rubble is piled along side the building and men stand on the second floor of the destroyed west wing. A horse and buggy stands nearby. Main was the first University campus building. It opened to classes September 8, 1884. On June 16, 1887 a violent tornado severely damaged the western end of the building, which was immediately rebuilt but without the enclosed center cupola and eastern high rounded gable. In 1912 the building was named after former President Webster Merrifield until the name was given to Merrifield Hall in 1930. In 1924, its top two stories were removed to stabilize the building. Main was demolished in 1963.
Old Main; Main; Tornado damage; Horse; Buggy; Ladder; Webster Merrifield; Natural disasters; Tornadoes; Ladders; Carriages and carts; Damages; Horses; College buildings
North Dakota--Grand Forks
Main (Grand Forks, N.D. : Building); University of North Dakota
Merrifield, Webster, 1852-1916
Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota