Date of Work
A photograph of the Burtness Theatre in September, 1964. On June 1, 1962, UND broke ground for the Burtness Theatre. The Theatre is located on the west side of University Drive across from Merrifield Hall. Made of collegiate gothic architecture, the main theatre house has seats for 400 people. The Burtness Theatre is named after Olger Burtness who graduated from UND with a B.A. in 1906, and a Law Degree in 1907. Following his death in 1960, his wife , Zoe Burtness, donated 100,000 dollars to the University to construct an assembly hall for plays, lectures, and concerts. The Burtness Theater was dedicated on April 28,1963. (Information from: UND Theatre Department Website, Flyer from Burtness Theatre Groundbreaking, University Publication).
Buildings -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks; Universities & colleges -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks
North Dakota--Grand Forks; North Dakota
Burtness Theater (Grand Forks, N.D.); University of North Dakota
Burtness, Olger B. (Olger Burton), 1884-1960
Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota
Burtness Theater, Theater Arts, Olger Burtness, Theaters, Windows, Building, Brick, Centers for the performing arts, Architecture, Gothic, Trees, College buildings