Date of Work
Macnie Hall was constructed in 1893 as a men's dormitory several yards north of Davis Hall. There are several small trees surround the building. There is a wooden sidewalk running by the building and to the front steps of the building. Hanging out of a second story window are perhaps bed linens. It was conceived and partially constructed as a university astronomical observatory but it was completed as a men's dormitory. In 1901, it became a woman's dormitory until 1930 when again housed male students. In 1908 it was renamed Macnie Hall in honor of John Macnie, professor of French and Spanish Languages and Literature and Secretary of the Faculty, who retired in 1906 after twenty years of service. Originally known as the Prep Building or Dormitory, it was called the Cottage in 1901 when it became the second campus women's dormitory.
Macnie Hall; The Cottage; Dormitory; Students-Female; Students-Male; Prep Building; John Macnie; wooden sidewalk; electric pole; Boardwalks; Electric Lines - Poles and towers; Dormitories; College students; Preparatory schools; Trees; Stairs
North Dakota--Grand Forks
Macnie Hall (Grand Forks, N.D.); University of North Dakota
Macnie, John, 1836-1909
Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota