Title of Work
Photo of a cement face on the side of Burtness Theatre. On June 1, 1962, UND broke ground for the Burtness Theatre. The Theatre is located on the west side of University Drive across from Merrifield Hall. Made of collegiate gothic architecture, the main theatre house has seats for 400 people. The Burtness Theatre is named after Olger Burtness who graduated from UND with a B.A. in 1906, and a Law Degree in 1907. Following his death in 1960, his wife , Zoe Burtness, donated 100,000 dollars to the University to construct an assembly hall for plays, lectures, and concerts. The Burtness Theater was dedicated on April 28,1963. (Information from: UND Theatre Department Website, Flyer from Burtness Theatre Groundbreaking, University Publication).
Burtness Theater; Theater Arts; Olger B. Burtness; Cement Face; Theaters; Centers for the performing arts; Architecture; Gothic; Face in art; Masks (Sculpture); Building; brick; Cement sculpture
North Dakota--Grand Forks; North Dakota
University of North Dakota
Burtness, Olger B. (Olger Burton), 1884-1960