Preview

image preview

Date of Work

Circa 1911

Description

A photograph of Room 109 in Babcock Hall, circa 1911. The room contains a table in the center of the room covered with stacks of papers. Bookshelves, a radiator, a glass storage cabinet, and a typewriter, and two windows line the walls. Back of the photograph reads: "Room 109 Babcock ca 1911". ND built the Mining Engineering Building in 1907 and was dedicated June 1908. In 1909, UND constructed two additions to the north and south of the building to accommodate ceramics and a mining experiment station. In 1910, a serious fire destroyed the northern third of the roof and caused extensive water damage to the north half of the building. On September 3, 1925, the building was named after Dean Earle J. Babcock. (Information from E. F. Chandler's History of All Buildings, page 7)

Subject

Buildings -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks; Universities & colleges -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks

Places Depicted

North Dakota--Grand Forks; North Dakota

Organizations Depicted

Babcock Hall (Grand Forks, N.D.); University of North Dakota

People Depicted

Babcock, E. J. (Earle Jay), b. 1865

Rights

Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota

Keywords

Babcock Hall, Earle Babcock, Mining, Engineering, Chemistry, Bookshelves, Windows, Radiator, Chairs, Typewriter, Mining schools and education, Engineering schools, Chemistry - Study and teaching, Shelving for books, Chairs, Typewriters, Radiators

Share

 
COinS