Preview

image preview

Date of Work

Circa 1978

Description

A Photograph of Babcock Hall, circa 1978. The back of the photograph reads: "CA 1978." ND built the Mining Engineering Building in 1907 and was dedicated June 1908. In 1909, UND constructed two additions to the north and south of the building to accommodate ceramics and a mining experiment station. In 1910, a serious fire destroyed the northern third of the roof and caused extensive water damage to the north half of the building. On September 3, 1925, the building was named after Dean Earle J. Babcock. (Information from E. F. Chandler's History of All Buildings, page 7)

Subject

Buildings -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks; Universities & colleges -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks

Places Depicted

North Dakota--Grand Forks; North Dakota

Organizations Depicted

Babcock Hall (Grand Forks, N.D.); University of North Dakota

People Depicted

Babcock, E. J. (Earle Jay), b. 1865

Rights

Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota

Keywords

Babcock Hall, Earle Babcock, Mining, Engineering, Chemistry, Engineering schools, Building, Brick, College buildings, Trees, Windows, Chemistry - Study and teaching, Universities and colleges

Share

 
COinS