A photograph of the Phi Delta Theta House on the banks of the English Coulee. The house was built originally in 1910, as the home of the Varsity Bachelor Club. It was the First Chapter House built and owned by any fraternity at the University of North Dakota in 1913, and the Club attained a charter from Phi Delta Theta. During WWI, their house was used as an Army Headquarters, and UND converted it into a hospital during the 1918 influenza epidemic. In 1921 and during WWII, the house was converted to the Army Headquarters for the student soldiers. Members of Phi Delt continued to live in the house until 1979, when the University purchased it. The building was renamed Gustafson Hall and became the Center for continuing education. This photograph is part of the University Co-operative Store Booklet. (Information from University of Northern Plains 296-297, Phi Delta Theta Fraternity and Varsity Bachelor Club finding aids).
Phi Delta Theta House; English Coulee; Great Northern Railroad Cars; Greek letter societies; College buildings; Sidewalks; Railroad - Cars; Lampposts; Trees; Windows
North Dakota--Grand Forks; North Dakota
Phi Delta Theta Fraternity. Alpha Chapter (University of North Dakota); University of North Dakota; Great Northern Railway Company (U.S.)
Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota