Date of Work
UND breaks ground for the Chester Fritz Auditorium on June 26, 1970. Identified in the picture are Architect Myron Denbrook, Mayor Hugo Magnusson, Steve Lund (President of the UND student body), and President George Starcher. The Chester Fritz Auditorium is located west of the English Coulee and on the south side of University Avenue. The auditorium, which UND uses for many types of entertainment, can seat up to 2400 people. The ground breaking for the auditorium was on June 26, 1970, with the first concert: The Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra and Philharmonic Choir on October 12, 1972. The funding for the Auditorium came from three sources: One million from UND Benefactor, Chester Fritz, one million from the State of North Dakota, and one million from private donations. (Information from Chester Fritz Auditorium Finding Aid).
Chester Fritz Auditorium; President Starcher; Hugo Magnusson; Myron Denbrook; Steve Lund; Auditoriums; Commercial buildings - Design and construction; Shovels; Suits (Clothing); Construction equipment; Construction; College presidents
North Dakota--Grand Forks; North Dakota
Chester Fritz Auditorium (University of North Dakota); University of North Dakota
magnusson, Hugo; Starcher, George William, 1906-; Denbrook, Myron E.; Lund, Steve
Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota