image preview

Date of Work



The Women's Gymnasium, designed by architect Joseph B. De Remer, has the word "gymnasium" across the entrance door. The Cornerstone reads: "1907." Several trees surround the building and behind it are Great Northern Railroad Cars. UND built the gymnasium to provide an armory and drill hall, a gymnasium for men and women, and a University Assembly Hall. With the completion of the Armory (1919), the regular work of the Military Department and men's athletics were removed and it was then primarily a woman's gymnasium. (Information from University of North Dakota, History of the Buildings, E.F. Chandler, page 40)


Buildings -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks; Universities & colleges -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks

Places Depicted

North Dakota; North Dakota--Grand Forks

Organizations Depicted

University of North Dakota


Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota


Gymnasium, Great Northern Train Cars, Athletics, University Assembly Hall, Trees, Gymnasiums, Buildings, College buildings, Railroad - Cars, Doorways, Windows