Preview

image preview

Date of Work

1909

Description

The Women's Gymnasium, designed by architect Joseph B. De Remer, has the word "gymnasium" across the entrance door. The Cornerstone reads: "1907." Several trees surround the building and behind it are Great Northern Railroad Cars. UND built the gymnasium to provide an armory and drill hall, a gymnasium for men and women, and a University Assembly Hall. With the completion of the Armory (1919), the regular work of the Military Department and men's athletics were removed and it was then primarily a woman's gymnasium. (Information from University of North Dakota, History of the Buildings, E.F. Chandler, page 40)

Subject

Women's Gymnasium; Great Northern Train Cars; Athletics; University Assembly Hall; Gymnasiums; Trees; Buildings; Railroad - Cars; College buildings; Athletics; Windows

Places Depicted

North Dakota; North Dakota--Grand Forks

Organizations Depicted

University of North Dakota

Rights

Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota

Share

 
COinS