Date of Work
A view of Old Main in 1899. The main entrance to the building is on the right side of the photo. Built in 1883, Main served many purposes. It first contained all recitation and lecture rooms, laboratories, the campus library, and offices. It was named Merrifield Hall in 1912 after UND President Webster Merrifield. Due to rapid settling of the foundation, it was condemned in 1924. The top two floors were removed to save the building. Once the new Merrifield Hall opened in 1930, UND's first building became known as Old Main before it was razed in 1963. The Old Main Memorial Sphere was erected on the site in the same year.
Old Main; Trees; Windows; Chimney; College buildings; Laboratories; Auditoriums; Academic libraries; Windows; Offices; Trees
North Dakota--Grand Forks; North Dakota
University of North Dakota; Main (Grand Forks, N.D. : Building)
Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota