Title of Work
Date of Work
1909 - 1910
A front view of Babcock Hall. There are several windows open, with two standing at one, no adjacent buildings and a sidewalk running along the front of the building. The building housed the departments of mining engineering, chemistry, ceramics, and the mining experiment station. Babcock Hall built to house the departments of mining engineering and chemistry in 1907 and was dedicated June 1908. In 1909, two additions were constructed to the north and south ends of the building to accommodate ceramics and the mining experiment station. In 1910 there was a serious fire which destroyed the northern two thirds of the roof of the building and there was extensive water damage to the north half of the building. The building was named after Dean Earle J. Babcock on September 3, 1925.
Babcock Hall; College of Mining Engineering; Chemistry; Earle J. Babcock; ceramics; mining experiment station; College buildings; Ceramics; Mines and mineral resources; Mining engineering; Mining schools and education; Chemistry - Study and teaching; Engineering - Study and teaching
North Dakota--Grand Forks
Babcock Hall (Grand Forks, N.D.); University of North Dakota
Babcock, E. J. (Earle Jay), b. 1865