Date of Work
The President's House renamed Oxford House was built in 1902 for President and Mrs. Webster Merrifield. The Colonial Revival building designed by Joseph H. DeRemer cost approximately $25,000 and contained many modern conveniences. The home consists of two stories with an attic which contained a large ballroom and small bedrooms. Constructed of granite and brick the main floor contained a large parlor, living room, refectory, president's study, kitchen, pantries, and hallways. The second floor was divided into five bedrooms. The house also had three fireplaces, bathrooms on each floor, speaking tubes, a dumbwaiter, electric lights and bells, and a telephone. Presidents Frank McVey, Thomas Kane, and John C. West also resided in the house. During George Starcher's presidency the home became a men's dormitory, Oxford House. From 1964 to 1971 the Art Department occupied the building. In 1973 the house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Today it is home to the University Alumni Association.
Oxford House; President's House; Webster Merrifield; Frank McVey; Thomas Kane; John C. West; National Register of Historic Places; Art Department; Men's Dormitory; University Alumni Association; Winter; College buildings; Residence and education; College presidents - Dwellings; Columns; Dormitories; Snow; Staircases
North Dakota--Grand Forks
National Register of Historic Places; University of North Dakota
Merrifield, Webster, 1852-1916; McVey, Frank LeRond, 1869-1953; Kane, Thomas Franklin, 1863-1953; West, John Chester, 1885-
Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota