Date of Work
Science Hall during construction in 1901. The exterior walls of the first two floors are completed and construction work continues for the third floor. There are no windows or doors. In front of the building are several barrels, a large wood crate, and a ladder reaches to the third floor. The back of the photograph states "waiting for terra cotta." The President's House is in the distance to the left. Science Hall consisted of a basement and three stories, all occupied as recitation or lecture rooms, laboratories, or offices. The basement housed engineering (1902), geology (1903-1923), then physics and civil engineering. The first floor housed physics and for a time mathematics (1902-1910). The second floor housed chemistry and mining engineering (1902-1908) and biology and the medical school. The third floor housed biology and botany and the university museum and then the College of Medicine and Public Health laboratory.
Universities & colleges -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks; Buildings -- North Dakota -- Grand Forks
North Dakota--Grand Forks
Science Hall (Grand Forks, N.D.); University of North Dakota
Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota
Science Hall, Old Science, Ladder, Barrels, College of Medicine and Public Health Laboratory, Physics, Civil Engineering, Surveying, Mathematics, Chemistry, Mining Engineering, Biology, Medical School, Botany, University Museum, Terra Cotta, College buildings, Ladders, Medical laboratories, Building materials, Trees, Barrels, Building sites